In case you missed it, here are the Key Points from today’s Virtual Media Conference- Monday May 25th 2020:
- Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh said there are 5.4 million cases of COVID-19 worldwide, with 346,000 deaths recorded. About 2.19 million people have recovered from the virus.
- 1,177 Community Tests have been administered in Trinidad and Tobago for COVID-19.
- There are 87 returning Nationals quarantined at three facilities. The following is the breakdown:
CASCADIA: 7 quarantined.
TACARIGUA RACQUET CENTRE: 21 quarantined.
UWI Debe Campus: 59 quarantined.
- Minister Deyalsingh confirmed that 56 Returning Nationals are expected in the country this week. Thirty will return from Caracas and will be housed at the Brooklyn Settlement Facility, and 26 returning Nationals from the Carnival Fantasy cruise ship will be housed at the Home For Football. All returning Nationals will be swabbed and tested within their first 24 hours of arrival.
- Minister Deyalsingh said T&T may not have enough facilities on land to quarantine 400-500 returning Nationals at the same time. He explained that there are 406 beds available at the Step Down Facilities for quarantined persons but with 87 beds currently in use at three facilities, Health officials are also seeking a 75% reduction in bed capacity at those facilities to prevent any transmission of the virus.
- The Health Minister said a balance must be struck in the treatment of returning Nationals from the cruise ships – it has to be a balance between humanitarian (in their treatment) and the protection of the rest of the population.
- TT Coast Guard officers remain quarantined after rescuing 32 Venezuelans from a sinking vessel last week. The 32 Venezuelans returned to their country yesterday.
- Minister Deyalsingh said travel on the air bridge and sea bridge continues but on a restricted schedule. The Ministry of Health does not dictate the frequency of flights or sailings.
- The Health Ministry continues to collate data on the country’s adherence to COVID-19 guidelines as well as other significant information to present to the Prime Minister on his request.